St. George Anglican Church
This church was built in 1875 and designed by well-known architect F.D.G Stanley. It was built entirely off donations and made extensively from Yellowwood, Noosa pine, ironbark and polished cedar. The church was originally located on the corner of Bellow Street and Kent Street in Beenleigh.
The church was moved to Beenleigh Historical Village in 1980. This beautiful church is still being used for services and has been a place of worship for over 100 years.
The St. George Church is available for wedding, functions or events.
Carter’s Boot & Shoe Repair Shop
Carter’s boot and shoe repair shop was first built in the 1800s however, was later re-built in 1935. This shop was a dressmakers shop and is filled with boot-making and dressmaking equipment. The shop belonged to Mr Carter and was re-located to the Village from Main Street in 1988.
The Council Chambers was owned by the Beenleigh Shire Council and was home to Albert Board. The Beenleigh Country Women’s Association used the premises prior to it being moved to the Beenleigh Historical Village in 1982. This building was later restored in 2006.
Willkie’s General Store & Fire Engine Shed
This building was owned by Charles Willkie and was located at the corner of Stapylton road, Alberton. It was a General Store from 1892 -1972. The store was moved to the Beenleigh Historical Village in 1990.
The Carroll house is themed in the 1920s just after WWI. Many new things were invented and the elegance of the Edwardian Age gave way to 1920s art deco. The Carroll house was built in the 1890s and owned by the Carroll family. Norma McGovern then lived in the house before donating it to the Beenleigh Historical Village in 1988. The House was re-located from James Street.
Mr Shultz who ran the ferry service on the Logan River at the turn of the century owned this house. The Shultz house was re-located to the Beenleigh Historical Village from Muchow Street in 1998. This house was built in the era when people used flour, butter, sugar and eggs to make bread, just before the arrival of all things packaged.
The Barter Cottage is a slab-built house with wooden shutters. It was built in 1885 and was previously a farmhouse.
This building was built just after WWII (around 1945) and belonged to the Hester Family. This was a milking shed. The cows came through a gate and into the holding yards where they were then milked. The milk traveled through overhead pipes in to an open milk vat. From there, it traveled over cooling pipes and into a milk can. The cans were capped and put into a refrigerator and were then picked up from a milk truck and transported to a Pauls milk factory in Brisbane. The Dairy was originally in Yatala and was relocated to the Beenleigh Historical Village in 1993.
Beenleigh Rum Distillery
During the sugar boom in the late 1870-1880s the Beenleigh region became very famous for its Rum. Production of rum was done on a converted sailing boat called the Walrus. In 1884 when the Walrus became unseaworthy the Pot was installed in the Old Sugar Mill on site – this was the start of Beenleigh Rum on the banks of the Albert River at Eagleby. Beenleigh Rum is again being produced at the Distillery.
The Loganholme School House
The Loganholme one teacher school arrived at the Beenleigh Historical Village in 2009 and is the newest addition to the village. This building was built in 1873 and served the local children of the area until 1972. It was then used at the University of Queensland Kenmore Campus. The university then donated the building along with its original slates and even a cane. It is a working classroom for visiting classes from local school to experience what schooling was like in the old days.
Beenleigh Post Office
The post office formed an integral part of the community as in early days it was the mail exchange for the whole region. The Beenleigh Post Office was originally located on James Street approximately where the National Bank stands today. All telegrams were sent from this building.
The rural school was used to train male students in the fine arts of metal and woodwork. Students would travel once a week from the outlying country schools (Jacob’s Well, Woongoolba, Alberton, Pimpama, Ormeau, Cedar Creek, Slacks Creek and Carbrook) to attend manual training lessons in this building. It was moved from Beenleigh Primary School to the Beenleigh Historical Village.
Sewing and cooking skills were available for the female students at a beautiful old house with a separate kitchen located adjacent to the boundary fence separating the Beenleigh State School and the show grounds. The Rural School has now been turned into a theatrette and is being used for varied training purposes.
Beenleigh Railway Station
The Beenleigh Railway Station was built in 1885 and was very important for the development of the area linking Beenleigh to Brisbane and Southport. The Railway Station has been turned into the Tin Cup Café. The building was relocated from George Street to Beenleigh Historical Village in 1988. Goods trains were in abundant supply bringing goods and food to the outlying villages along the way.